Monday, March 13, 2017

Pro Advice


I honestly had no clue.  For four hours I sat next to a player in the senior's WSOP circuit event, he was to my immediate left in the 3 seat.  He was fairly friendly, played reasonably tight and when he took a giant hit to his stack I felt bad for him.  He was down to around $700 in chips.  I dispensed helpful advice like, "don't give up, chip and a chair" and "I have seen lots of players come back from less".  Also, "Double up 3 times and you will be the chip leader".  He doubled up plus a little more and when I raised light from the button with 10/J and he shoved.  I had him well covered but hesitated.  I counted the chips in the pot, his bet, and figured that I was getting decent calling odds with a hand that probably had live cards.  So, I called and he tabled A/6 suited.  Better than I thought with him having only one overcard.  I hit a jack on the flop, he hit a 6 on the turn, giving him more outs.  The ace came on the river, doubling him up to close to starting stack.  Yikes, I have created a monster.

We chatted a while about philosophical questions like "What is dumb?"  He was very thoughtful and intellectual in his musings.  I did not find it unusual that a woman came up to him and handed him a website patch like you see on televised poker matches.  The dealer commented to him about being careful, like the site was kind of sketchy, check it out.  Some players were moved from our table to balance them, and off he went.  Shortly afterward, a woman came up to me and asked me "where is Kenna?"  I said, "Who?".  She said, "Kenna James, he was sitting next to you".  Holy shit!  That was the Kenna James, well known actor and poker pro.  I am sure he was laughing at my advice.  In some ways I am glad that I did not recognize him as it may have influenced my play.  If not for the ace on the river I would have knocked him out, but never known about my accomplishment.



Best Live Cash $700,000
Total Live Earnings $3,677,964
 

He moved eventually to the same table as my buddy Don, and was sitting right next to him.  Bottom line on the story, Don placed 19th in the money for $810 and Kenna came in 3rd for $8305.  I am sure my encouragement had something to do with it.

 http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/results.asp?tid=15494&grid=1280

3 comments:

7 Dewey said...

I watch the Heartland Poker Tour on TV now and again and Kenna James is one of the co-hosts. I've seen him many times before including at the ladies event in Pendleton that I took 7th place in. He was there with his wife Marsha Waggoner who was at one of my tables for awhile. I don't know if they are still married or not. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but Marsha was super nice. That's cool that you got to play with him and you're probably right that it was better you didn't know who he was. I wish you'd had more fun :(

Phil said...

They separated 9 years ago. I'm telling you, you have a chance.

7 Dewey said...

LOL gee thanks. (You did talk with him a lot!)