Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2016 Recap

For a person who is essentially unorganized, my tracking of all poker financial action last year was unprecedented.  Every time after playing a tournament or cash game I dutifully noted the buy-in, cash out, tips given and received, and net profit.

I read a long time ago that there are three kinds of poker players when it comes to reporting their results:   winners, losers and liars.  Obviously we are all either winners or losers, but often we are also liars.  "How did you do last year playing poker?" will usually be answered by, "Well, I won money overall"  This cannot be true or honest for everyone.  Hardly anyone will admit to being a poker loser, yet we instinctively know that everyone cannot be a winner.  I also read how important it is to log your results so you can be honest with yourself.  So here is the "bottom line" for me in 2016.

Tournaments Played:  71
Tournament Buy-ins:  $3,553
Tournament Wins:  $4687  (21 cashes or 30%)
Net win (before tips):  $1134.
Tips paid:  $295
Net/Net Win:  $839
Biggest Win:  $500

Cash Games Played:  9  (4 winning sessions)
Total Buy-ins:  $2006
Total Cash outs:  $1598
Net Loss:  $408
Biggest Win: $225
Biggest Loss:  $300

In addition, I dealt at Wheeler or Cannon Beach a total of 27 times, collectiong $817, for an average of  $30 a session.  This was probably not even minimum wage but it certainly offset some of my total expenses.

I played at a variety of venues, only making it to Vegas twice, Tri-Cities 3 times, Pendleton once, and Arizona once.  All of the other games were our local ones at the American Legion, Wheeler, or lately Nehalem.

Taking a hard look at my year, it has not been a super profitable year, but it does go down in the "win" column.  Also, I finally broke the Pendleton Roundup curse with my Seniors cash.  I hope that you have also had a good year, and I wish each of you a fun and financially successful New Year. My plans include a trip to Vegas February 19th for the WSOP circuit event ($360 buy-in) with my buddy Don from Mesa, Arizona.  See you there?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Phil on a profitable year. Also for having the guts to keep a honest count and report it. I am chicken to do it.

The pick

7 Dewey said...

Yes, definitely a profitable year, even if not a ton of money. I'm happy to break even LOL. Good job!