Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The New Normal

The past 3 or 4 weeks have been pretty crazy for me.  Spending 17 days at my mom's retirement home and caring for her were draining, so when my friend Don suggested the $200 buy in Talking Stick Saturday tournament I was "all in" for it.  We registered early and were seated at adjoining tables.  There were approximately 175 players, so first prize was substantial.  We both got off to good starts, Don winning around 6000 on his first hand, me about $1000.  Turns out we would both need those chips.  I lost about half my chips to the same player when I rivered a straight to his full house on a board of A3A52, my 4/5 losing to his A/2.  Over half my smaller remaining stack went to an 8/7 suited who raised under the gun, flopping 2 pair to my open ender with the 9/10.  Could not hit the straight draw.  I recovered those chips with a big blind shove holding AA vs. small blind's 9/10.  We were both very short, but he had me covered.  Last hand was my AK vs. KQ on a queen high flop.  It was against a very loose aggressive player so I flat called his preflop raise, then shoved after his continuation bet.  A 10 on the turn doubled my outs for the jack giving me a straight, or an ace topping his pair, but could not find them.  Don got very short, went on a run, and nearly made the money finishing around 28th.  In the meantime I found the 4/8 omaha high/low game (with 1/2 kill), and managed to drop $140 before leaving.  I realized afterward that really not on my game due to the stress of the past weeks but despite that needed this session to blow off stress.   

No comments: