Monday, May 9, 2016

My Day

Lots of stuff rolling around in my head like the steel balls in an old school pinball machine.  Man, I used to love those, even owned one in middle school (long story, remind me to tell you about it...involves a cousin, a neighbor friend, and a trip to Disneyland).  But I digress.  The last couple of weeks have been tough, 1st world style, with my house totally a wreck from remodelling.  The master bedroom closet has been reduced in size to enlarge the kitchen and provide a pantry.  So, all the clothes and other stuff is now in the living room.  The kitchen now has a new countertop, but the sink will not be installed until this afternoon.  It has been out of commission for 2 days.  The plates, glasses and silverware are piling up on the kitchen island, which also holds boxes of food from the cabinets.  Other stuff from the cabinets are on the dining room table and living room floor.  The downstairs bathroom sink has been out for weeks.  The plumber will be installing the new sink today, along with the kitchen.  I am getting the water for my morning coffee from the other bathroom.  The new laundry room on the main floor is done except for new doors.  Furniture is piled up and the contents of the former closet are in the guest bedroom on a folding table.  Where the heck are we going top put all that stuff?  Like I said, 1st world problem.

My other concerns are more serious.  My friend, Don (not the Phoenix high school poker friend), a lifelong Cannon Beach resident, 86 years old, fell down his steps at home and laid there for a day or two.  I had tried calling him with no answer, and had driven by late but seen a light on so just luck that he was discovered....along with concerned daughters and local shopkeeper who saw his mail was not being collected. He has been in the hospital, rehab, back to hospital and is not doing well.  We had coffee together several times a week for many years, and he has many friends here.  I am hoping for a recovery but not optimistic.

Yesterday, I took Milo in for grooming.  It was a bad experience for the groomer as Milo had not been there for 2 or 3 months and was heavily matted.  I have an excuse for that having to do with a rash he suffered.  Plus, he was sensitive about touching his face and feet, snapping at her several times.  She is worried about being bitten (he has never really done that), so unless he can behave she is done with him.  Also, she was unable to clip his toenails, so now I have to take him to the vet for that job.  The simple joys of pet ownership.   

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Well my goodness and I thought my house was a mess. I feel your pain! I hope the remodeling gets done quickly. I guess I picked the right time NOT to visit and take advantage of your hospitality.

So sorry to hear about your friend. I'm just glad he was found. That's one of the things I worry about as I get older, but so far I'm never alone!!!

I hope you can get back to "normal" soon and I'm sure your home will look terrific and you will find a place for everything.