Saturday, May 14, 2016

Back in the Saddle???

Going through some soul searching about poker.  I have just been getting worn down by the bad beats and rethinking whether I really want to play given my mental state.  Last Friday there was just no joy in being there, talking poker, seeing the people, or playing.  After a few online tournaments and doing well, then crowned off by a cash online out of 521 players, finishing 6th.



Spurred on by my victory (albeit a small financial win), decided to play Friday's American Legion tournament.  I was asked to deal and declined.  With 4 tables....around 30 players, I glanced at the others seated.  Tough table.  A very good player sitting next to me commented on how tough the table looked.  I accepted it as a compliment.  The deck was kind to me early on, hitting a set of 10's and bluffing a pair of jacks vs. 2 pair.  He put me on a set of jacks due to my preflop raise, continuation with top pair, check on the turn, and raise of his river bet.

Skip forward to final table.  I was in good position, probably 3rd in chips.  While at 2 tables doubled up with AA vs. JJ.  A little later 9/9 raised, 10/10 shoved ahead of me, I shoved with AA (again), JJ tanked and finally folded murmering to herself how she folded "a monster".  Heads up the flop was harmless as was the turn, then bang, a 10 on the river.  Ouch.  Hanging in I again chipped up and when the small blind limped to me in the big blind I discovered QQ.  Shove.  Call with Q/10 (his "favorite" hand (donkey!!!).  The flop brought a jack, the turn a king, and the river an ace for his broadway.  This player is very smug and not popular and was cocky about it.  We went heads up later when he shoved with A2 suited, and I snap called with KK.  My pair held up, back in it.  

Last hand of the evening, in the big blind unraised with the biggest stack limping from the button.  I have K/7.  The flop is 9/7/3.  I shove, he calls with......K/9.  I am so totally screwed and out in 4th place for a win of $124.  Felt great despite a couple of bad beats just to cash again.  

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Yippee! Good for you. I'm taking a short break myself - two weeks. Sometimes it really helps. It also gives me a chance to do some spring cleaning - blah. You should try it! How's the remodeling?