Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Pocket 4's

Pocket 4's were the nuts today in an online game.  I was playing against a major league donkey who had chipped up big with a multi-way all-in garbage hand that got lucky.  He was raising or shoving most every hand.  I had doubled up once through him so when I limped in with 4/4 and he shoved I just snap called it.  Rut-Row!!! He had aces, proving again that even donkeys get real hands. However luck was with me and I flopped a 4 along with a pair that filled me up.  Now chip leader I just cruised along....until this hand.  I raised with QQ after a couple of limpers and the player next to me re-raised big.  I put him all in and was pleased to see 4/4....that is until he hit a 4 on the flop.  Now shorter but still in good shape I was amused when he got it all in on the very next hand with QQ against the big stack who had....ready for it?......4/4.  He hit a 4 and the player was gone.  LOL.

My last hand was a shove with 10/10, called by AK who flopped an ace and eliminated me and a short stack.  Out in 5th place, the bubble boy.   

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

I love playing small pairs. It's so easy. Limp if possible or call a small raise and hope to flop a set. If you don't hit - drop it. When you do hit it's usually awesome and you get lots of chips. Give me 44 every day of the week! By the way, I consider small pairs anything below JJ. Now you know my strategy. Ha.

Phil said...

Well, I can't disagree with the "set mining" strategy, however I also see raises with these medium and small pairs out of position. If they hit all the better. I agree with the general philosophy of flop it or drop it rather than getting too frisky. The play that I see with small pairs too often is the pre-flop shove. They are almost playing their hand face up, but have also seen it with AA (I admit to having done this often), KK, and QQ. Some folks just don't seem to want to see a flop cause I think they are afraid of being outplayed or outdrawn. This is just such a bad play as you will get a call with the coin flips or you are totally dominated. I would rather play small ball, hope for a great flop and play for a bigger pot if I hit.