Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Lucky Boy

Putting the Audi story back up.....

This story will blow your mind.  It began about a month ago at Safeway in Seaside.  I was wandering around as usual, aimlessly searching for empty fattening calories while my wife shopped for vegetables and other healthy stuff.  I noticed a big display for Widmer beer that advertised a contest. In order to enter you had to enter some numbers and send them by text to the number listed.  I thought, "what the heck" and did it.  So, now fast forward to this morning.  I am talking to my sister on our landline phone when my cel phone goes, "Bing, bing, bing, bing".  I look at the text messages and holy cow!  The caller is informing me that I have won 1st (and only) prize in the Widmer contest!  I text back to him my date of birth as you must be over 21 to qualify, and my email address so he can send me some documents.  I am pumped but cautious due to identity theft issues and general scumbag scammers working the internet.

So, my next step is to contact Widmer in Portland.  The lady on the phone doesn't know anything about it, but promises to look into it and get back with me.  In the meantime, I look online for the guy's company (an advertising/marketing/web development firm) from his email.  The site is legit and I am pumped.  I feel that this is about a 95% sure thing, but now need to get a notorized letter to the firm and a withholding W-9 statement faxed to the company.  This is my sticking point as it means providing my social security number because the prize is over $600 in value.  So, at this point you are probably asking yourself "what did he win?"  The prize is pictured below:




Yes, this is an Audi Q5, starting price $40,500.  It comes equipped as shown with the Yakima roof rack and bike rack. In fact, this is the actual car.  Now who is the lucky boy?  Only downside I gotta live with the paint job or pay for a new one.  Just kidding, actually it is a wrap that comes right off. Spoke with Widmer this morning and faxed the appropriate documents to the marketing company. The keys will be given to me at half-time during the Portland Timbers MLS game on October 3rd. Not sure yet how many tickets they will be sending but would be nice to take family.  If you are nice to me I will give you a ride in it.  Think I will keep the wrap on for a little while just for grins.
  

3 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Oh my God! That is totally awesome!!!! How cool is that? Wow. I could go on LOL. I won a washer-dryer set once a very long time ago. Not exciting in the least. I am VERY happy for you. Wow.

7 Dewey said...

I'm still completely flabbergasted. You are not always lucky at poker, but definitely lucky at other things!

Gail Hand said...

Congrats again! Scary process to provide your personal info but so happy it worked out great. Looking forward to my ride...