Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Good Tri-City Visit





Feeling pretty good about my last visit to Pasco.  For a two week visit, no trips to the ATM and came home with more money than I left with, even with some evenings out and lots of cash expenditures.

I am currently reading a book, "Fooled by Randomness".  It is a very hard read, written by a stock trader and includes a lot of theoretical math concepts.  I try to take away the lessons for life and poker that I can.  Here are a few:

"Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behaviour, not because they won or lost".  I think about the Congressional Medal of Honor recipients, most are awarded posthumously.  You could say they "lost", as indeed they lost their lives, yet their actions were heroic.

"A mistake is not something to be determined after the fact, but in the light of the information until that point".  This relates to good laydowns that would have been rewarded.  My most recent being folding 3's to raise, re-raise, and cap, only to flop trips and river quads.  You could view it as a mistake after the fact, but given the information available was not a mistake.

"You feel some pleasure when the performance is positive, but not in the equivalent amount as the pain experienced when the performance is negative.  Negative is 2 1/2 the magnitude of positive."  This relates to me about poker and bad beats in general.  The down feeling of losing a huge pot does seem both more memorable and painful than the pleasure of winning a big pot.


 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Glad you had a profitable trip - it's always a good thing. I'm still playing with other people's money & have been since last Thursday, but I'm down to my last $140. See you later!