Sunday, May 20, 2012

Catching Up




It was very tough to post any of my Vegas action due to a lack of internet connection (I was too cheap to pay the $15/day rate) at the Venetian.  In a nutshell:  not a profitable trip.  My biggest losses were at the limit games, getting stuck at 3/6, 4/8, and omaha 4/8.  Another loss was at my one tournament, which I got knocked out early, re-entered, and finished on the bubble.  A few words about that tournament:

$120 buy-in, 52 entries, I was rolling along with about 10,000 (8,000 starting) when I flopped two pair, J/6 in the big blind on a J/6/5 flop.  I bet a pot sized bet, around $400, and was reraised by the UTG player to 2000.  I re-raised all-in and he called .....with 6/3 suited.  He hit his flush on the turn, saying something like, "well it is a re-entry tournament, so it was "only" $120 more to rebuy.  Nice.  With only 2000 I shoved with 5/5 and was called by A/A.  Re-entered and made the final table.  When we were 6 handed it was suggested that the bubble be given $25 from each player which the biggest stack would have no part of.  First prize was $1700.  Nice.  I ended up being that bubble after doubling up twice as the short stack and becoming 3rd largest stack.  Then this happened.  In the small blind with 2,000/4,000 blinds and a $500 ante, the UTG second largest stack raised to 11,000.  He was then called by the big stack.  I discover pocket kings and re-raise 30,000 all-in.  I am called by both players.  Flop is ace high and I get the feeling of doom.  First raiser goes all-in, big stack folds and he turns over....pocket aces.  I would play it exactly the same way again if presented the opportunity.  It reeked of "squeeze play" and would get called by any pair or big cards.  Just bad luck to run into aces and worse luck that he hit one on the flop.  If a king comes instead I am chip leader.

Wish I could relate all the sick hands, flops, and all-ins I made during the week, but just too many.  A few choice memories:

At the Riviera, a guy in a wheel chair wants a seat change which I offer.  He flops a straight flush a few hands later and "tips" me $15.

I flop a full house in a raised pot with 6/6 and get all-in on a 6/4/4 flop, winning a big pot. and cracking aces and a flush draw.

I fold K/10 button on a new table (to me) to a $12 bet with 4 callers.  Flop is 10/10/Q.  $25 bet with 2 callers.  Turn is 10 and a $75 bet with one caller.  River, don't recall, but one player goes all-in and is called....he mucks his hand. Easily the single hand I most wish that I had played the entire week.

My Q/Q runs into 8/8 on a flop of  7/8/9.  The original straddler calls our bets (I raised to $20 preflop) with 10/4 offsuit and hits a straight on river after bet and all-in.

I get stacked by 9/9 on an 8/9/2 flop playing A/9 (only $68 behind).

I am re-evaluating my self description as a "poker degenerate" after sitting with some real deviates.  A fun week but if I could do it all over again would avoid all the limit games and focus more on tournaments and 1/2 NL.

No comments: