Sunday, December 6, 2009

I Hate Canines (King/nine, or K9)

Today I have been knocked out of two tournaments with K9 vs KQ and KA. The morning moose tournament I raised preflop with my KQ suited and was called by "Dirt Farmer" with a big stack and K/9 suited. The flop K/9/7, he checked (big blind), and I went all-in for pot size. He insta called and I was gone. Twenty minutes later, in an online game, I raise from the small blind with Ak and am called by....K9 offsuit. The flop has some middle cards, 6,7, ten high and I bet 300, he calls. The turn, king, I shove, he calls. River hits an eight for the straight with his 9. Just some really bad luck.

I have turned the corner on tournament play though with 2 online cashes (60th out of 1700, and 2nd out of 134). One of the wins (2nd) was just for a free year's subscription to Card Player magazine, but that is cool. I also place 2nd in the 10 a.m. Moose Friday for a $150 win. Cash games not so good with a small ($100 loss) marathon Saturday game. I felt o.k. with it, but could have quit a couple of hours earlier for a small win. Late Sat. nite play is just....crazy. When you have Tony, Miguel and Latif in the game it can get wild. I watched Tony go from $300 buy in to $700 to the felt. Miguel came in with $300 and had $700 in front of him when I left. Here is an example: Too Tight Randy raises preflop, rut-row! I envision aces, so I immediately muck my A10. Miguel calls with 8/3 offsuit and flops two pair then rivers the boat despite $20 bets to the river. Sick. I only survived by playing extremely tight and pushing hard when I connected. Of course, the problem with this type of play in this type of game is that it is like playing with your cards face up. Someone raised to $7 preflop with one caller and I reraised to $27 with pocket aces and everyone folded. But, just ask Randy how it feels to let them in cheap and get snapped by the 8/3. I will take the small win every time rather than try to trap.

2 comments:

7 Dewey said...

Let me in the game! Yes, Tony, Miguel and Latif (and many others) are crazy but you want them in your hands all the time. If you are playing right (and I know you are) you will win more than you will lose! By the way, I'm not a big fan of K9 either, but don't tell dealer Keving - ha!

7 Dewey said...

I mean KEVIN naturally - I haven't been able to spell all week - LOL