Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Spirit (Mountain)

Last Saturday was my big day at Spirit Mountain. Arriving at noon I sat down at a 3/6 game and was totally card dead. The player to my immediate right hit two high hands in a row for a $600 win ($300 every half hour...both cards do not need to play). When a seat opened up on the 4/8 game I switched tables figuring that I wanted to stay on a low limit table in order to chase the high hands, but also wanting to play a high enough limit to beat the rake. 12 hours later, I had broken even thanks to hitting quad aces for a high hand. Ended up spending the night at the lodge, nice room and covered it with my comps. A good day gambling, but could have quit once when I was about $250 ahead. My "lesson Learned" is that if you make $200 playing poker that is equivalent to a $75,000 a year job ($200 x 5 = 1,000/week = $48,000 year pretax). I am planning to quit anytime I am $200 + ahead for the immediate future.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Good job! Your idea about quitting when ahead is a good one. I wish I had the resolve to follow it. I played 2-20 for the first time in ages last Saturday for about 12 hours. I started with $200 (my limit) and got up to $600 and went home with zero. Phooey. I think from now on if I double-up I will leave. Period. Even if I double-up on the first hand I play. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!