Saturday, November 21, 2009

Legionnaire's Disease

Well, Friday night at the American Legion. I have been playing poker literally all day and frankly not exactly lighting it up if you know what I mean. My best finish was 5th place in a 7 card stud game (97 players), but just getting trounced in holdem. I briefly think about not even playing as just not feeling the love, but it is sort of a ritual, and I do like many of the players there, so here goes.

I manage to not lose all my chips early on with pocket jacks (versus KK and a turned flush), and actually only lose 160 chips. Please see attached youtube video on how to play jacks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9CBtSW0kA&feature=related

Basically running card dead and tired of seeing every possible combination of small cards with a three (7/3, 8/3, 6/3, etc.). I shove a couple of times with big aces and get lucky with either folds or one double up, my A/7 vs. K/10 suited. We are down to two shorthanded tables, but I am definitely the shortest stack with blinds of 300/600, in the big blind with 900 behind. The luckiest player at the table, Carl, is dealing and he has just knocked out another player who slow played his flopped two pair, aces up vs. Carl's QQ. Carl of course hits his two outer on the turn.

I am in the big blind with 300/600 blinds and only 900 behind. A late transfer to our table holds the game up on the button, and he finally limps in. Carl was just enquiring as to my chip count before he showed up, so I am expecting a raise to put me all in...which is just fine with me with ace/ten. Carl disappoints by just completing and I sense the futility of shoving, so I check my option. The flop is 10/j/q with two clubs. This gives me bottom pair, gutshot straight draw and backdoor nut flush with my ace of clubs. Excellent. I shove my last 900 in and both players call, giving me a great shot at tripling up. They both knock the meaningless turn card, and when the 8 hits on the river Carl bets 2000. RUT-ROW! The other player comments that he believes Carl hit his straight, which he did with a 9/4 offsuit!!! Carl hits his unbelievable 4 outer (although he believed he had 8 outs, the king would give me the nut straight), however I may have been beaten by the button as well. Just not my day.

No comments: