Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vegas Part III - Cash Games

Having experienced primarily limit cash games, I decided to jump in to the 1/3 no-limit games at Caesar's (they didn't offer anything else, lol). I had some ups and downs, usually just buying in for the $100 minimum and quitting if I lost 2 buy-ins, or doubled up. I got "stacked" one night, very late, when I overplayed my top pair, 2nd kicker (KQ) on a QJX flop. Naturally, he had the QJ. A couple of times I quit when up $75-$100, or down about that much, so overall it was pretty painless. The most interesting games (both $75 losses) were sitting next to the WSOP cash guy and with the young guns. One involved a very drunk Texan who was spewing chips, getting lucky and had 3 of us waiting for a good opportunity to get all his chips. He would declare "all-in" and shove all his 400 or so chips into the pot, spilling them all over. He was cut off from more drinking (a very difficult thing to do in Vegas!), and finally left after losing about 1/2 his stack. The other game was just really really fun. There were two young hotshot internet players and the sponsored Austrian kid. One of them suggested early on that we play "7 deuce" (you would like that Lynne). So, the game is, if you win a pot with 7/2 all the other players give you $5. I agreed, figuring that I really wouldn't participate, or maybe get a lucky 772 flop while holding 7/2. WRONG!!!! What it did was turn the game into a giant bluff-fest. The first hand won by 7/2 was a preflop raise to $20 with 5 callers, then a flop all-in bet of $150 that got everyone to fold on a K/10/X flop (I had pocket 9's). He laughed like a maniac and cashed in shortly afterwards. The second one was a more modest $12 preflop raise, then a continuation bet of about the same, everyone folded and he showed. The third one was more interesting as he raised fairly large preflop, got a caller, ended up putting about $250 in the pot and was called by 2nd pair....ouch....all for trying to win $40 in side action. Anyway, it was a ton of fun and only sorry I didn't connect on my 9's, or at least call the bluff! As an afterthought, it would have been a great idea to say "sorry, I am too tight of a player to participate", then mercilessly bluff all night since they would always figure that I held the nuts being a tight player. Then, at the end I could bluff one last time, show the bluff at the end, and say, "sorry guys, I've been doing this all night long!" then stand up and cash out.

I got involved in two limit games, one at Planet Hollywood with 4 drunk Canadian guys that was pretty wild for a 2/4. Every hand was capped preflop, I was down to about $20 on a $60 buy-in when I picked up pocket 6's, flopped a set, and won a $100 pot. I left quickly after that. The other limit game was at Palace Station, where I had gone to meet Bob for a 4/8 Omaha game which broke down while I was enroute. I won about $60 in a very soft 3/6 half kill game.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

TOO much fun! I always enjoy the seven-deuce game- ha ha!!
I got to play some Omaha (high only) at the Moose last night and boy did I drag some HUGE pots. I will have to do that again. I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip!