Saturday, July 4, 2009

5th Place at the Legion

Fourth of July weekend. The big highlight was the annual Cannon Beach parade. I was asked last week during the poker tournament if I would ride in one of the humvee military vehicles from Camp Rilea. You betcha! Sounded like fun to me. So, this morning I walked to the Legion post and saddled up with a couple of other old vets. We were equipped with big bags of salt water taffy donated by Bruce's Candy Kitchen and especially made in red, white and blue colors. We led the parade and tossed candy to the kids along the route and smiled and waved. It was very heartwarming with people shouting out "thanks for your service".

My big poker highlight was another final table, in the money ($25 net profit), finish. I was playing pretty solid poker with a very card dead streak, then got hot for a while. My aggressive style once in the money did me in as I lost a fair stack of chips stealing (well I did have K/J) on the button against the big blind, a loose calling station (he called for most of his chips with A/7 offsuit).

I then got knocked out when I bet from the cutoff all-in with KQ offsuit only to catch the big blind chip leader with AJ suited. Oh well. My late tournament steals or big bets from late position have been running into monsters of late, but I still would repeat both plays with the same cards. With position I have been considering just calling with this type of hand, then going big if it is checked to me, but I still think the steal is the way to go, especially if you have not been raising every hand on the button. Aggression wins a lot of pots, and a lot of tournaments, so I will try to stick with my mostly winning game plan and try to quit running into monsters in the blinds.

No comments: