Thursday, November 16, 2017

Wildhorse Fall 2017 Roundup

Looking for a repeat of last year's cash in the senior's tournament, the Wildhorse beckoned.  The things I generally enjoy about the tournament are:
1.  Seeing Tri-City friends
2.  making money in good cash games
3.  The buffet dinners
4.  Playing a ton of poker, and winning tournaments

So, how did this year measure up?  I did see a bunch of old friends, so that was good.  I did make money overall in the cash games (omaha only), with one great night and one smallish win and a couple of losses.  The buffet dinners were bad this year, with one virtually uneatable.  Played a ton of poker, going deep in both the omaha tournament and the seniors.  Unfortunately no tournament wins this year.

I really have little recollection of the omaha tournament, just remember playing from noon to about 7:30 p.m.  Got one "bad beat", which in that game is not winning either high or low with A/A/2.  For that I got to spin the wheel of fortune and won a small duffel bag.  Would have preferred to win the pot as it was late in the tournament and the pot was large.  I think I went out about in 50th place, with only 17 positions paid.

Tuesday was all omaha, all day.  Total cash win was around $300.

Wednesday, the senior tournament started at noon and was visiting with a local poker friend (golfer Steve).  He had finished 4th in the Friday tournament for over $7000 in cash, and was telling me about our mutual friend (Clark) who had finished 3rd on Saturday for an even bigger win.  He told me that they had a side deal for 10% of the other guys winnings so he made out very well, even paying him off for his win.  Sounded like fun so we agreed to the same deal.  Later saw the other guy, and we ended up also making the same deal.  I thought it was great, as they are both good players and obviously lucky as well.  Turned out that I was the last guy standing so they made a better deal than me.  I ran really good at first, becoming chip leader at my table.  My troubles started when the player to my right (tall Jeff) called a pretty big preflop raise (Q/Q) with 5/6 off.  The flop came A/A/5.  My continuation bet was called.  The turn was a blank, and fearing a check raise from his ace, I checked back.  The turn?  Another 5, giving him the full house.

The next hit was a huge one.  In the big blind with a ton of limpers I have A/J suited.  I check my out of position big hand and the flop comes down A/K/J.  I bet, one or two players call, the short stack button shoves.  I re-raise 10K enough to put most players all-in and another player  shoves an additional 3800  more.  Crap.  I know exactly what he has, the Q/10 for broadway, but am pot committed and have outs.  A diamond on the turn gives me the nut flush draw and the dealer obliges my request to pair the board by putting another king up.  Now down to starting chip stack I float along for hours with the same chips.  With blinds huge plus Antes, I re-raise an active player for all my chips with 10/10.  He shows A/J and the flop brings both a king and a queen.  The turn bricks but the river 10 gives me a set and the exit door.

Overall, a fun time and not too expensive.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good time. As per usual, I had something come up (home plumbing issues) and couldn't go. This is the 4th time in a row that I've been unable to attend due to one damn thing or another. Phooey.

I played in the morning Moose tournament with Clark on that Saturday. He said, "Well I guess I will just go to Pendleton" like it was a last minute decision or something. Turned out pretty well!!

See you someday.