Saturday, November 11, 2017

My Military Story (Part 1)

On this Veterans Day, thinking about my military service.  I have conflicting feelings.  I see the respect given to veterans today and contrast it with the neglect and sometimes disdain given to us Vietnam era vets upon our return.  Traveling through San Francisco airport there were many reports of insults and spitting on returning soldiers.  As a draftee, I was not given a choice about serving.  My life was interrupted and changed by forces outside of my control.  I was told what to do, what to wear, where to live for two years in my early twenties.  I was grossly underpaid as my contemporaries forged ahead in their careers.  I was resentful.  I had the fear of possible death hanging over my head.  It sucked.

Many restaurants offer free meals to veterans today.  I am not interested in trading long buried resentment for "endless fries".  I think it is great that so many businesses are making these gestures, but no thanks, I don't need your gratitude or your charity.  I have been writing this first installment for a while, keeping it in draft form.
This story, while in several parts, only covers less than two years (if I was my friend Don, who was career Air Force, it would be 10-15 times as long).

Recently PBS has been showing the Ken Burns Vietnam War story.  It is fascinating for those of us growing up during that era.  In 1968 the Vietnam War was in full swing.  As a junior at the University of Missouri I was protected from the draft by my student deferment.  That summer I blew my work earnings on restoring a 1957 MGA purchased that year from a friend.  My grades were bad, and I had been on continuous academic probation since my freshman year, making just good enough grades to not flunk out.  I decided to sit out a semester and regroup.  Also got married.  And moved to St. Louis. Big life changes.

I re-enrolled at the Mizzou St. Louis branch in January and began attending classes.  Unfortunately losing student deferment I was reclassified as 1-A in the draft.  receiving a draft notice in February and not wanting to go in on the army I attempted to get into naval officer's candidate school.  They basically wanted only college grads, so no luck there.  My father in law knew a sergeant in the reserves or national guard that would put me atop their waiting list for $500.  I declined.  Orders to report to Ft. Leonard Wood came in March.

I was inducted and became a private in basic training, way out of shape (3 years of college partying will do that to you).  It was tough on me as most of the other guys were younger and fitter.  I did not lose a pound in 2 months, but trimmed 3 inches off my waist.  Had the dubious honor of being a road guard on our daily marches, which meant I had to run ahead to block intersections, then run back to formation after the last man passed.  This was their way of giving me additional physical training.  I ended up passing the minimum fitness as a high motivation was the threat of repeating basic training cycle.  Not a pleasant thought. Sometimes I remember little things like going to mess hall after morning run and other physical training.  The rule was, "take all you want, but eat all you take".  The cooks put huge quantities on my plate and was half nauseous from exercise so ate maybe half.  When I took my tray to kitchen was turned back and told to finish it.  Remember the kid trick of wrapping unwanted veggies in a napkin?  I sure did.  Was extra careful in the future to dodge large helpings.

Being a low ranking enlisted man was a lousy life so when I was offered the "opportunity" to attend officer's candidate school I quickly signed up.  My orders came down for infantry OCS, not artillery or armor which were the only other options.  Sometime before signing the enlistment paperwork I heard that the lifespan of new infantry second lieutenants in Vietnam was 22 minutes.  Since OCS was essentially a prepaid ticket there, when the time came to sign the paperwork for an additional 2 years, I politely refused, preferring to roll the dice on my next duty assignment.  It turned out to be a good decision despite certain regrets about learning more leadership skills and more military prestige and money.  But hey, upside is I am still alive!  One guy in my company went on to OCS, another was offered a direct commission (he was a computer guy way back then), but refused.  I did not see Fitzgerald's name on the wall so hope it went well for him.  On a side note, ran into a very bitter guy later who went to OCS but his entire class was terminated due to wind down in the war, and he was given Sgt. rank as token.  He was not happy with his longer term of service from his enlistment extension.

One other life-altering thing happened.  During a midnight stint as "fire guard", received an important phone call.  My wife had given birth to baby Amy in St. Louis.  Sadly, could not see her until after basic was over, another 2 weeks.

Part 2 will reveal my assignment after basic training.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Phil. I too lived through that time as potential cannon fodder. However I was classified as 1-y. Long story short, I didn't have to go. I look forward to part two.

7 Dewey said...

This is great. I love reading stuff like this. I met my husband after he returned from Vietnam so I was lucky enough that I didn't have to worry about whether or not he would come back. He was a medic with the 173rd Airborne from late 1970 through 1971. I met him in 1976. He never shied away from talking about his experience as a lot of vets do. He was awarded a Bronze Star.

I haven't been watching the Ken Burns program (basically because I forgot about it) but I may have to do so. His work is generally excellent and one can never learn too much.

I never thought it was right to treat returning vets badly even though at the time I was not a fan of the war. Time changes a lot of things. I'm proud to call you my friend sir.