Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Gutterballs, Double Bubble Trouble

Have not played at the American Legion in Seaside for several years but decided to play it last night. The structure, chips and starting stack are different, and it is an add-on tournament which I really don't care for.  My cards stank it up at first and by break time I was well below starting stack.  Nearly everyone did the add-on for $20, so with three tables it was a pretty juicy prize pool, paying 4 places plus bubble.  I decided to contain my losses since cards were running bad, so no add-on for me.

I was flopping lots of gutshot straight draws last night.  I refused to chase any of them.  The odds of hitting the gutterball are so small that it takes very special circumstances to pursue them.  That did not exist last night.  Finally the cards turned in my favor and I got a couple of double ups and some other juicy pots.  Moving to the final table I was in good condition, but had big trouble to my right 2 spots.  A player there had been crushing one of the other tables and had as many chips as all of us combined.  He was both lucky and aggressive, rivering me one time with runner-runner.  I played back at him strongly once when he raised and I shoved with AK suited.  With his chips and luck surprised to see him fold.  Must have been a very weak hand.

Down to 6 places I was in deep trouble with blinds at 2000-4000 and about 10K in my stack.  A player had just doubled up with A/A the previous hand and was now in the big blind, and he had taken the chips from the big blind last hand.  I saw an opportunity to shove with K/5 suited diamonds from the cutoff.  The small blind quickly called me, the BB folded and he turned over A/A.  The flop was good 10/10/x with 2 diamonds.  The turn brought in my flush.  Hooray!!!  Unfortunately he caught his 4 outer on the river (10/10/A/A) to eliminate me in 6th place.  I had not left the table when they starting talking about paying the bubble.  This makes 6 final tables in a row, with 1 bubble and 2 double bubbles. Starting to get old.  Just need some late luck.










     

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Hey now - be glad you are making final tables. You can't ever make any money in the small tournaments unless you do. I shall call you Sir Whines a Lot - LOL. (That was a nasty beat against your flush, however, and I seriously think it would be polite if people would not start talking about chopping or paying more spots until the loser is out of earshot.)