Tuesday, December 6, 2016

What Would You Do?

Playing last Friday night we consolidated the original 4 tables down to 2.  I was short stacked with 1700 in chips blinds at 200/400.  The player two to my right was playing fairly tight for him.  He is a good, aggressive player who will make big laydowns and switches gears at the right time.  At our previous table he told me during the break that he had pocket 10's twice under the gun, raising both times and folding after the flop when there was lots of action.  He will also lie about his hands, but in this case I believed him.

So, back to our action.  He had raised to 900 two hands earlier and showed AK suited after everyone folded.  He again raised to 900 vs. my big blind.  All players folded around to me and I found A/8 offsuit.  With probably not enough hesitation I shoved my remaining 1300 which he called.  He turned over AJ suited.  I understand that he will always call my shove given the chip count, and I could not guarantee that I was ahead of his range.

Total pot before my shove= 1500
My remaining chips= 1300
Total pot with his call= 3600
I would have 200 in the small blind next hand

So, what would you have done?

The results, which must be separated from the decision was that he caught a jack on the flop or turn and I was eliminated.  Just trying to decide if I made the right decision or not.

3 comments:

Phil said...

I need to add that this player makes monster moves with any two cards. I thought that his showing the big hand previously could definitely have been setting up for the bluff.

7 Dewey said...

That's a tough one. Personally, I think A8 is very "iffy" here. Even if he had been setting up a bluff it's just not that good a hand to go all in with. Sure you will only have less than 3 blinds left, but you might find a monster in the small blind and if you don't you are then on the button and have quite a few more hands to look at before you are absolutely committed and surely something better than A8 might come along. Short stack play is so hard. I usually go card dead and then something like A8 looks marvelous to me so I shove with it and run into AA or KK. I'd say A8 is all about the gut feeling. In that case, if you put him on a bluff you did the right thing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dewey and would take the attitude I have enough chips about two more trips around the table to see a better hand. ie a pair would be better than A8 I think to shove with. But that's conservative me too.

the pick