Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Night of The 3 Outer

I would like to start by saying that top pair/top kicker is sort of a double edged sword.  Obviously it is a great situation as you have the best possible single pair hand.  That said, a single pair is a very vulnerable holding.  Another issue is dominated hands.  Often we have duplication in our holdings but when one player holds a higher rank card as his kicker the other player is usually drawing to only 3 outs. So, with that preamble I would like to share with you my experience this week during our Wednesday night tournament.

I started off very well the first hand of the tournament, calling a fairly large pre-flop bet with KQ suited.  I hit top pair with 2nd best kicker. There was action on my flop and turn bet, winning the river on showdown.  I was doubled up.  My trouble started early as well when I raised UTG with A/J and was called by almost the whole table.  Flop came down A/6/7.  I continuation bet and got one caller.  The turn brought an 8 and again called when I bet.  The river was a 9 and I made one last bet. Called.  He turns over A/6 off for a winning 2 pair.  So, now still above starting stack, I find AK suited in the big blind.  After a couple of limpers the button raises to 150.  I re-raise to 400.  Both a limper and the button call me.  Flop comes down K/J/10 and I fire a big bet.  The limper calls and the button folds.  The turn is a small card, I fire again and the limper shoves.  Call.  He turns over KJ for 2 pair.  I still have 6 outs but fail to find a queen or ace.  I am now short stacked.

My final hand is AK suited in the big blind, middle position short stack shoves, call.  He has 8/8 and I fail to find my spades, an ace or a king and am the first out of the tournament.  What did I do wrong? I am going out on a limb here and say "nothing".  I thought the first losing hand was sort of stupid as he caught his 3 outer on a hand that by all good judgement he should have folded preflop.  A/6 off? Really?  What early position raising hand is he ahead of?

The second beat was much worse in my opinion.  That guy was most definitely the monkey in the middle between a raising button who has position on him and a re-raising big blind with a big stack. I am continually amazed that players put so much faith in K/J.  It is an easily dominated hand, and also suffers from the gap.  Yet, I see players often getting very frisky with it, and sometimes winning.
The very last hand was sad because I was eliminated being unable to find 6 outs when the previous hands were lost with a total of 6 outs against me.  Just plain unlucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's alot of really bad luck dude.

The pick