Thursday, April 21, 2016

Due To Popular Demand

Thanks to my poker friends who have urged me to continue my blog.  Not really quitting, just not inspired to write.  This short blog has been sitting in draft for a while.

I have been accused of often whining about my bad beats.  Guilty as charged.  It often seems like I get my money in with the best hand, only to lose to some improbable random luck.  Let me give you an example.  This morning, playing in a 9 person SNG, I was on a great roll.  I had tripled up and was the chip leader with only 5 players remaining.  I had taken a ton of chips off the previous leader, and when another player made it 2x the big blind, and he re-raised, I shoved with my KK.  The first raiser folded and the other player called for all his chips.  He revealed 8/8 as a huge dog.  The flop, no issues, also nothing on the turn.  The river was an 8 and he is doubled up.  Now a much shorter stack, but still above starting stack, I find Q/Q and raise 4x the BB.  He calls and we see the flop heads up.  It comes down good but not great for me, K/Q/J, all diamonds.  I bet big with my set, and he puts me all-in.  He turns over J/10, with the 10 of diamonds.  The river is the ace of diamonds and I lose to a royal flush!!!!  Now really, how many royals do we witness in our poker lives?  How many do we get involved in a hand against it?  Damned few.  Unbelievable luck for a player who should have been gone earlier.

On a later update, I actually hit a royal flush myself today (omaha....but still counts!).  Playing the AK suited hit a gutshot on the turn.  Nice pot with action at the river.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back on the job. Writing that is, and nice on the Royal, for u not against.

Mike the pick

7 Dewey said...

I was just about to call/text and see if you were OK because you haven't blogged in so long. Glad to see you back in the saddle.

I'm sorry you have such atrocious luck. The 88 always seems to crack my KK or AA by flopping a set so you are definitely not alone. It does make me wonder though why some people (you and I in particular) seem to have such bad luck when we have the best hand. What are we doing wrong? Why do the lucky horseshoes up the you-know-what get so lucky in the first place? I have no clue.

I guess we must continue to be persistent and hope for the best. I'm hoping for a short visit to Seaside/Cannon Beach sometime in August/September. Not carved in stone. We shall see!