Thursday, February 25, 2016

Worst. Table. Ever.



Speaking with my sister yesterday she mentioned that it was the end of the month.  Yikes, that reminded me that the big omaha tournament in Lincoln City started at noon on Wednesday.  I quickly showered, dressed and hit the road.  I have been anticipating this tournament for a while.  Just not that many opportunities to play omaha, and hardly ever any tournaments.

The buy-in was $150 with 10,000 starting chips and half hour blinds.  For an additional $10 "dealer appreciation" you got $2000 more.  There were 76 sign ups by the time it started with a few more stragglers entering later.  I made a key mistake early on by asking the lady at the sign in desk to choose my seat card.  More on that.

So, sitting in one of my favorite omaha seats, 6 (where it is easy to see the cards), on table 12, we began the game short handed, 6 players.  The very first hand, the player to my left was surprised to be dealt 4 cards.  Since he was older than me, figured that was his standard joke, or a way of making us believe that he did not know what he was doing.  After a couple of hands, a new player sat down, and was genuinely surprised to be dealt 4 cards in his first hand, which was the big blind.  The man claimed he did not know how to play omaha, the floor was called over, and after much discussion his chips were returned to the dealer and he left for his refund.  The other player then protested, saying he also did not know it was an omaha tournament and despite the fact he had played a couple of hands, was also allowed to leave and receive a refund.  Wow.  Then the floor brought over a new player, he was seated, given chips, and when he gave his seat card to the dealer it was discovered that he was at the wrong table!!  This happened once again.  Unbelievable!!!

Another new player installed was a man in his late 70's or early 80's (remember that the average omaha player's age is probably 70), kept messing up how many chips to put in on a call or raise.  He was corrected maybe 15 times.  Unreal!!!  This particular player was loose/aggressive, raising almost every pot and extremely lucky winning most hands.  At the first break, I chatted with the player to my right and we moaned about how bad the table was.  Neither of us had ever seen anything like it.

I was up slightly after the first break (1 1/2 hours), but went "flop dead" the next 3 blind levels.  Reaching desperation state, I got them all-in with AA10J and tripled up on a board of A/Q/Q/x/x.  Mr. lucky, can't figure out the bets won the side pot with A/Q/xx under-full and was mildly shocked to see me take the main pot.

Ultimately Mr. loose/aggressive/can't figure out bets knocked me out when he raised pre-flop (imagine that), with KKxx, and I 3-bet with QQJ10.  Another player, a loose chipped up lady called with A/4/xx...no pairs.  The flop came 2/2/6 two spades, and I shoved my last chips.  They both called and checked the turn.  When the king of spades came on the river, the lag bet his full house and the lady called with the nut flush.  I had QJ of spades.  A doomed hand for anything but a queen on the river as I lose to a flush or to the overpair.

I would play this tournament again despite my poor performance and terrible table.  It is a long ass drive to Lincoln City but worth it occasionally.

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

You may have had the "worst.table.ever" but your fans are greatly amused. It was a good laugh. I certainly hope it's better next time. I'm just amazed that people would buy-in to a tournament and have no idea what game they are playing LOL.

I'm staying away from the cash game so far this month. I played the deep stack at the Lucky Bridge on Tuesday and, believe it or not I had the best hand every single damn time that I called an all-in or went all-in myself. I was done in by Penny at the final table. She raised and I re-raised all-in with 88 because blinds and antes were just ridiculously high. She says, "I'm so sick and tired of you raising me all the time" and calls with her A-10 off and naturally spikes a 10 and knocks me out. I hate revenge calls. I did take 5th place. Also made the final table again at the Lucky Bridge last night but got knocked out in 7th and only got about 3 times my money back, but better than losing. My 77 lost to AK when my pair got counterfeited. OUCH!