Saturday, April 12, 2014

Is Ace Queen Ever A Winner?



Doyle Brunson said it best.  Never go all in with a queen in your hand.  Playing at the Friday Legion tournament we were down to 10 players, one more to the final table.  I was running very card dead, only played one hand the first 4 blind levels.  Yes, that card dead!  So, shoving a couple of times and picking up blinds, and once getting called very short with JJ in my hand, I had only 5 big blinds when I picked up AQ under the gun.  Easy shove, except the guy next to me had KK and I was done.

Update on my TV appearance.  I keep getting kicked down a level or two, fighting back up to level 8.  Today I tried once again to level up from 8 and finally succeeded.  Heads up play I was outchipped 2/1 but mixed up my play a lot (is it just because I am mixed up in my head, or was it intentional?)  Too close to call.  Anyway, I tried a variety of methods which I would like to describe for you.

On the button:  Because it is such an obvious steal position, I was careful to mix up my play, sometimes limping with big hands (any ace or king), and other times folding.  My raises nearly always came with garbage hands.  He never played back at me...not even once.  If he called, he folded to the continuation bet every time.  This style of play assured me that I could escape if he played back hard, and trap with my big hands.  Raising from the button with great hands usually does not earn you much.

Not on the button:  If he raised from the button, I would call with reasonable hands, or sometimes re-raise big with good hands.  I would fold most garbage hands, except for suited or connectors.  When he limped, I would check behind as out of position and grateful to see a flop for free.  A couple of times, just to mix it up, I would raise when he limped, which got a fold always.

Bottom line, I eventually got him outchipped 2/1 and he re-raised me all-in with J/7 when I raised with 7/7.  Bad timing on his part, and drawing very thin.  Now on to level 9 (again). 

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

Good luck with the TV thing. I really hope you do it. That would be great fun.

As for AQ, I love that hand. AK is my nemesis, but AQ usually works just fine. I win with it frequently. Some hands just tend to work better than others for everyone.

Pendleton report - 565 players. I lasted until final 10 tables. I believe I went out 85th or 86th. One of these days!!