Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Interview With Blogspot.com

I was recently interviewed by blogspot.com in a "virtual interview".  Here is a transcript of the conversation.

Blogspot (BS):  Hi, good morning "fliphall".
Me:  Good morning blogspot.
BS:  First of all, where did you come up with the name, fliphall?
Me:  When I first signed up for an email account with Microsoft, I tried to use my real name, Phil Hall, but it was already taken, so I would have to be like, philhall321 or something.  So, I tried my childhood nickname, Flip, and that worked.
BS: How did you get that nickname, from acrobatics, job flipping hamburgers, or maybe flipping people off?
Me:  No.  When I was a little kid, the neighbor girl directly across the street, Carol Short, who was my age, couldn't say Philip, it came out Flip, and the name kind of stuck...at least with her.
BS:  Do you have any other nicknames?
Me:  Well, in high school my friends called me "Curl" for my curly hair.  Unfortunately for me today, that would no longer apply.  Then in college, my fraternity brothers called me "Philagorilla", after a popular animal at the St. Louis zoo, and my hairy chest I suppose.
BS:  So, Mr. Flipcurlgorilla, how long have you been blogging?
Me:  About 6 years.
BS:  How did you choose "Adventures in Pokerland" as your blogspot name?
Me:  Well, after playing poker for a few years, I felt sometimes like Alice in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".  You know, you are often met with some very weird stuff in the game, and in the poker room.  Sometimes I still feel like I followed a rabbit down a hole and run into this \psychedelic world. Also, thinking about the Red Queen wanting to chop off Alice's head is very appropriate. LOL. (Me actually laughing out loud).
BS:  So, why do you write at all?
Me:  For the gratitude of my legion of followers, again lol.  Actually, I do it so that stuff doesn't continue to rattle around in my head.  After getting knocked out of a tournament with a horrible beat, it helps me to write about it and analyze it so hopefully if I made a mistake it won't happen again.  Or at least get it out of my system.  The other reason(s) I write is because it is something I have always enjoyed doing.  I majored in English in college and did a heck of a lot of reading when younger.  While the dream of a novel has often danced in my head, I basically lack the discipline of sitting down and focusing on writing.  Doing some blogging helps me keep active with the little skill I possess.

Conversation will be continued later.......

1 comment:

7 Dewey said...

LOL! I always wondered where "flip" came from. Flipcurlgorilla. I love it. I needed a smile this morning. Can't wait to see more of this conversation. I'm still giggling. It was good to see you. Have fun in Lost Wages!!