Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dominated Hand on Final Table

Playing in the Legion tournament last night I again reached the final table short stacked.  Letting folks knock each other out I made the money cut with 6 places paid.  With 5 of us left and the second shortest stack, the short stack shoved for 3000.  I was in the BB with 1000 and a folded small button and the giant stack had limped.  I had A/10 suited and didn't think long before calling for about 1/2 my chips.  Ordinarily here I would shove to isolate, but did not have enough to get the very loose and very huge stack to fold.  The giant stack called too naturally.

The flop was pretty good for me (I thought):  Q/10/3 and I checked, expecting the button to check the all/in dry side pot too.  Wrong.  He is not an "experienced" player, and bet, putting me all in.  I thought he probably had the queen, but figured I had outs, and the pot was too big, and I had too few chips left not to call.  Very bad decision as we turned over our cards and the original shover had pocket 10's for the flopped set, and the big stack had AQ for a dominating hand, no more 10's to rescue me, no ace to help, only runner KJ as possible saviours.  So, I was out in 5th place with a win of $74, for a net of $30 after tip.  In reviewing my play do not see how I would play it any different next time, so just a case of very bad luck.

No comments: