Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Failure at the Final Table

After a night when I dreamed many poker hands and scenarios, the big day arrived on Sunday. I drew the 4 seat, which has been a good one for me. No huge stacks at the table, and both shorter stacks are here, hooray!! I had been telling anyone who would listen about my genius strategy....wait for aces! On the third hand, my hopes were realized, pocket rockets! I thought for a second or two about how to bet. If I "limp" in, then I allow both the small and big blind to get in for cheap or free which could be disaster if the flop comes little and ugly. However, if I limp, I also tempt someone later to raise me, in which case I can re-raise all in. What to do, what to do. Finally I decide to "overbet" the pot, raising 12,500 all-in, in the hopes of catching someone with a big hand who puts me on AK or a medium pair. Unfortunately, everyone folds and I just pick up enough to get me through the upcoming blinds.

Long story short, I play pretty even for almost 2 hours, doubling up briefly when my pocket 10's find another one all-in against pocket queens. I give back most of the chips when my A/10 goes against A/J on a 10/j flop to the same player! I make two fatal errors late when I fail to raise all-in with pocket 2's against the blinds (even if Ramon calls with KJ, it is a tossup). I fold my big blind to a big raise (8/3 offsuit).....two live cards and dead money plus blinds made that a no brainer....only to end up with 3,000, not even a big blind. I go all in against Hector/s big blind with KQ os, only to see AJ suited. He flops a J, then another one.... I go out in 14th place (out of 100 players), with only the top 10 paid. I watch briefly as Bob P. loses all his chips to go out 13th. We had a deal to pay the other 10% if we won the 1st place, 6,000 bucks, so I am doubly disappointed. I have to play much better at Wildhorse next week.

No comments: